Roger Whittaker Whistles ..


Timeline Man


The Cordwainer


Solar system 2


Betty Broderick


Evolutionary Reptilian Features


Ancient Britons


In The Clouds


The English Language


African eMigration

Anna Dale

Annadale Grammar School for Boys was an all-boys school located on the Annadale Embankment skirting the River Lagan in south Belfast, Northern Ireland. In 1990, Annadale Grammar School (all boys) amalgamated with Carolan Grammar School (all girls) and became known as Wellington College Belfast.NameThe name “Annadale” originated from Anne Hill, mother of Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington. Wellington’s grandfather, Arthur Hill, 1st Viscount Dungannon, lived at Belvoir Estate near Knockbreda and married Anne Stafford in 1737. They bore 3 children, a boy and 2 girls. Their eldest daughter, Anne, married Garret Wellesley, 1st Earl of Mornington and herself bore 2 sons and a daughter – Penelope Prudence, Richard and Arthur, Duke of Wellington. The site on which the school was built was originally known as Anna’s Dale, a name referred to in letters from the Duke to his mother which are now held by the school. The school also possesses an oil painting of the area as it was at the time of Wellington and reputedly shows the famous Molly Ward’s Tavern; an important meeting place during the time of the United Irishmen.BadgeAnnadale Grammar School colours were red, black and white. The school badge, worn on the breast pocket of the black school blazer, was the “cockatrice” which is associated with the Duke of Wellington’s coats of arms. Until its amalgamation in 2006 the cockatrice provided the Regimental capbadge of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment. It remains on the capbadge of the contemporary Yorkshire Regiment.